Thursday, June 25, 2015

Inks Lake State Park


Welcome Down Home Friends,
It is finally summertime which gives us a chance to get out and about. I was so excited to be able to return to one of my favorite places in Texas. Inks Lake State Park is one of those places where I long to go to kick back and enjoy the outdoors. It was the first place I considered when deciding on a location for a Father's Day fishing themed celebration. With so much to see and do I knew it would be the perfect spot for this celebration.
And when I say perfect spot I mean just that! A place where you can drag your kayaks out from your campsite is the ultimate spot for me. I swear we got the best site in the entire park although there were several good ones that we saw along the way.
Knowing that I had little time to prepare for this celebration, I hunted around the house and grabbed what I could for a little inspiration. After my initial hunt for anything fish related, I realized I did have other things on hand I could use for props to go along with what you see here. I realized I had camping dishes and lanterns that would work well too. As I was packing for the trip, I just added what I could to the travel bag if I thought it fit the theme. Knowing that time would be short the week leading up to the trip, I started to worry about the cake. I had grand visions of creating something on my own but I realized that with working all week and not having ever really decorated a cake before, I might need to consider plan B.
I was able to get a local grocery store to make the cake and create the water and land. Unfortunately they did not have the cake kit so I had to find it on my own. I was able to find it on Amazon and had it delivered in a flash. I have to say it was the easiest cake to put together and I would do it again. I was worried that the cake would not make the three hour drive but they packed it in the box very well and it made it through a bumpy, warm ride just fine.  
I knew I didn't have to worry too much about the food because we always plan that out before we go on any camping trip. I am lucky my husband likes to grill and he had planned on grilling.
My job is simply the...decorations, drinks and dessert!
That plan works for us and I am just fine with that. We usually cook what we would cook at home so getting ready for a trip and planning the meals is no big deal.
With the decorations, drinks, dinner and dessert taken care of we were able to get out and about and take a good look around. Inks Lake has lots of trails and a lot of natural beauty to see. It is hard not to stop and take a picture!
With so much to do and see we never left the park once. We walked, took pictures, rode bikes, kayaked, went on some boat rides, fished and sat by the campfire under the stars. All in all, the fish themed party was a huge success and a memorable celebration that I am sure we will try to recreate next year.
All the party supplies were purchased from Amazon. The basic cake was made by Albertson's Grocery Store and Bakery.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover